Make Your Home Fire Safe!
- Smoke detectors save lives! Install a battery-operated smoke detector outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home. Use the test button to check each smoke detector once a month. When necessary, replace batteries. Replace batteries at least once a year!
- Keep a working fire extinguisher in the kitchen! Ensure you understand the operating instructions or ask a member of the fire department to show you how to use it. Also include written instructions on how to turn off your home's utilities.
- Conduct periodic fire drills! Make sure all family members know what to do when there is a fire.
Plan Your Escape Routes!
- Determine at least two ways to escape from every room of your home. If you must use an escape ladder, be sure everyone knows how to use it.
- Select a safe location outside your home to act as your emergency meeting place.
- Practice your escape plan at least twice-a-year. The kids will enjoy it - just make sure they know why you're doing it and how important it is! If it's the real thing, once you are out, stay out!
- If you see smoke in your first escape route, use your second way out.
- If you must exit through smoke, crawl low under the smoke to escape.
- If you are escaping through a closed door, feel the door before opening it. If it is hot, use your second way out. The heat on the door is most likely generated from the fire burning on the other side - opening that door may allow the fire to spread rapidly!
- If smoke, heat or flames block your exit routes, stay in the room with the door closed. Signal for help using a bright-colored cloth at the window.
- If there is a telephone in the room, call the fire department and tell them where you are.
Plan & Prepare!
- Fire is one of the most common disasters.
- Fire causes more deaths than any other type of disaster.
- Fire doesn't have to be deadly if you have early warning from a smoke detector and everyone in your family knows how to escape calmly.
- Please be serious about the responsibility of planning for and practicing what to do in case of a fire.
- Be prepared by having various household members do each of the items on the checklist below. Then get together to discuss and finalize your personalized Fire Plan.
- Install smoke detectors outside each sleeping area and on each level of your home.
- Keep new batteries on hand.
New smoke detectors installed:
Batteries Purchased on: [_________________] (Date)
Test smoke detectors once a month!
Start a chart and sign it after each test.
(Family Member Name) [_________________]
checked smoke detectors on: [_________________] (Date)
- Look at the fire extinguisher you have to ensure it is properly charged & hasn't expired.
- Use the gauge or test button to check proper pressure.
- If the unit is low on pressure, damaged, or corroded, replace it or have it professionally serviced.
Get Fire Extinguisher training:
(Family Member Name)[_________________]
examined extinguisher on: [_________________] (Date)
(Family Member Names)[_________________] [_________________]
[_________________][_________________] have been trained to use the extinguisher.
Draw a floor plan of your home.
Mark two fire escape routes for each room.
Floor Plan completed on: [_________________] (Date)
Pick a Safe Place outside to meet after escaping from a fire.
Safe Place: [_________________] (Location)
Practice a low-crawl escape from your bedroom.
Try it with your eyes closed to see how well you could do in thick smoke.
Smoke Escape Drill conducted on: [_________________] (Date)
Conduct a home fire drill at least twice a year!
Home fire drill conducted on: [_________________] (Date)
Fire Preparedness Products
Fire Survival Kits and Emergency Fire Supplies at wholesale prices from your trusted source in Emergency Preparedness!
offers quality Survival Kits, Emergency Kits, First Aid Kits, Emergency Car Kits, Disaster Preparedness
items and information, 72 Hour Kits, Search and Rescue supplies, Emergency First Aid and Trauma supplies, Terrorism Response Kits, Survival Kits for your Pets, Emergency Sanitation, Emergency Shelter, Emergency Lighting and Radios.
Partner with BestBePrepared for the
highest quality at the best prices!